The Land of the Ladadahs

Hey! Welcome to my pageee

This is my little cubby where I can say random, zany things about the most random topics without getting in trouble. check it out :)

make sure to take the poll at the right! It changes every week. Take it because it's amusing, enlightening, and possibly one of the most important polls you'll ever take in your life.

I'm serious.

P.S. If you would like to subscribe, just enter your email in the "subscribe via email" gadget right below this paragraph. And if the emails aren't coming, CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER cuz sometimes the emails end up in there haha Oh, and the email subscription thing can be pretty unreliable, so if you like this site, go ahead and bookmark it and check it out every once in awhile, since I update pretty frequently. Technology and I are on pretty iffy terms and the subscription gadget keeps playing games on me. ARGGGHHH





Subscribe via email!!! yay! And if you don't receive the email, CHECK YOUR SPAM :)

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blame my DNA

Good evening peoples!

My friend told me how his mom always yells at him because he's "not smart enough" or "not good-looking enough" (by the way, a mom should NEVER say that her kid is ugly. Just saying). She moans and groans over the fact that his memory maybe isn't the best and he doesn't learn as quickly as she would like him to. Heck, she even criticized him for the pimples on the side of his face.

Did you notice that every single one of these criticisms involves a trait that he can't actually a control? In fact, all of these characteristics are genetic. Biologically speaking, half of his DNA comes from his mom, and half from his dad. So inborn traits like bad memory...well, it's not his "fault"; it's either his dad's "fault" or his mom's. So isn't his mom kind of criticizing herself (or her husband)? It's one thing if she had said, "I wish you would work a bit harder" or "be more responsible." That is a reasonable request. It's another matter altogether to blame one's own child for innate qualities like not having a "good memory."

I love parents. I think that they are generally fantastic and wonderful and without them, more kids would die from drunk driving, STD's, and other bad mistakes. I am grateful for parents and their guidance. But I wish the more critical parents would stop and think a bit before they mindlessly insult their own kids - and in the process, unintentionally insult themselves.

Vivian

2 comments:

  1. I don't really know what to say about parents criticizing their children about intelligence since it also has to do with their child's motivation but then again that can be influenced by the parent. As for having pimples or being "ugly," why should a parent be so superficial about something that their child has no control over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can work on improving your memory. And this mother is such a stereotypical example of a hardcore critical Asian mother.

    -Bob

    ReplyDelete

Hi people! Please comment - share your ladadadahs with me!